Explore and experience the cultural roots and contemporary influences of West Africa through live performances, visual arts, hands-on activities, foods, games, and a tempting marketplace. This FREE festival features traditional dance and music as well as hip hop, jazz and rock with world-class local and touring artists from Senegal, Guinea, Benin, Mali Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, and Cameroon.
FREE SEATTLE: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events in Seattle. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
Related Seattle Events & Info
- Mother’s Day Events: Seattle Mother’s Day Events: Brunch, Specials, Gift Ideas, & More
- Mother’s Day: Mother’s Day Half Marathon & 5K! | Flatter & Faster Route, Scenic, Vendors & More! (May 10)
- Win A Quest ($49): Treat Mom to an Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure! | Discover Seattle’s Hidden Mysteries w/ Urban Adventure Quest
- Win Tickets ($56): NINJA ESCAPE Room Adventure | Break into Hidden Passages, Find Secret Treasures, Crush Puzzles & Win Glory
- Win Tickets ($40): IN DREAMS: A Tribute to the Legendary Roy Orbison @ The Triple Door | w/ The James Apollo Five (May 10)
- Win Meals ($30): 34 Million Hugged…It’s Your Turn – Meet Spiritual Leader Mata Amritanandamayai AMMA | India’s Hugging Saint, FREE, Music, Meditation, Spiritual Discourse & Personal Blessings (May 30-June 1)
Seattle Center FESTÁL and Thione Diop are excited to present the 10th Annual Spirit of West Africa Festival on Saturday, May 9, 2015 at the Seattle Center Armory from 12:00 to 8:00 pm. For ten years the Spirit of West Africa has celebrated the cultural diversity and resilience of West African music and dance with a vibrant variety of traditions from throughout the Diaspora.
Each year we have been honored and humbled by the energy and enthusiasm of Northwest audiences for our efforts to shine a positive light on present generations of West Africans, to connect with our cousins across continents, and to illuminate the vision of our ancestors. We welcome you to join us again in our special anniversary year as we gather and groove with old friends and new!
The 2015 line up includes an incredible range of talented artists bringing us sizzling sounds from Benin to Cuba, Ghana to Guinea, Honduras, Senegal, Nigeria and beyond. The festival kicks off with a dance class by Gansango and Etienne Cakpo from Benin, and besides our live performances we will have a dazzling Fashion Show produced by Nansare Consolata and Best of Both Worlds Fashion.
Local sculptor Marita Dingus will lead a free African doll-making workshop for youth from 2:00 to 6:00 PM. Traditional Senegalese cuisine will be served by Columbia City’s own La Teranga, and festival attendees will have the opportunity to shop the myriad colorful and sophisticated wares for sale by our vendors in the African Marketplace.
Admission to The Spirit of West Africa is FREE as part of Seattle Center’s FESTÁL Series, so we welcome all to join us with family members and friends of all ages.
FESTÁL and The Spirit of West Africa would also like to thank our generous sponsors for helping bring a unique world-class arts experience directly to Pacific Northwest audiences.
- 12:00-12:30 PM Udoka Cultural Dance – Igbo Music from Nigeria
- 12:30-1:15 PM Gansango – Dance Workshop from Benin by Etienne Cakpo
- (1:15-1:35 PM Set up chairs – Seattle Center & Volunteers)
- 1:35-2:20 PM Hagucha Gariñagu – Garifuna Music & Dance from Honduras
- 2:00-6:00 PM Children’s African Doll-Making Workshop – Marita Dingus
- 2:30-3:30 PM Obo Addy’s Okropong – Music from Ghana
- 3:40-4:30 PM Bembe Olele – Music & Dance from Cuba
- 4:45-5:20 PM Fashion Show by Nansare Consolata & Best of Both Worlds
- 5:30-6:20 PM Message from Guinea – Music & Dance from Guinea
- 6:25-7:15 PM Mapathe Diop & Family – Music from Senegal
- 7:20-8:00 PM Prince Diabate – Kora Music from Guinea
Our new Seattle Events App is available for iPhones and Android! Now, you can have all of the great Seattle events and ticket giveaways from the website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town.
Download iPhone Events App here
Download Android Events App here