From our sponsors:
Street Scramble Alki
April 9, 2016
Kids Free- $14, Adults $14-$24 | All ages
More info: streetscramble.com
Street Scramble is kicking off our 2016 schedule with one of our favorite Seattle neighborhoods! Enjoy a nice spring morning exploring the beach community of Alki and take in great views from the hills above! Find as many checkpoints as you can before the time runs out!
What is Street Scramble? It’s an urban adventure that’s fun for runners, walkers, and families! Dozens of checkpoints are marked on a special map and your goal is to find as many as you can within the time limit. Whether you sprint or stroll is up to you! You can participate solo or in teams of 2-5.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Maps are handed out 30 minutes before the race start. Use this time to strategize! Plan which checkpoints you want to find and the route you’ll take to get there. Use highlighters, pens, or pencils to mark your route on the map.
- Checkpoints have varying point values, this can affect your strategy!
- Checkpoints are worth the tens place of the checkpoint number. (For example, checkpoints #38 is worth 30 points.)
- After the race briefing, everyone starts at the same time!
- To prove that you visited a checkpoint, you’ll answer a multiple-choice question on an answer sheet. (No guessing. This isn’t a trivia contest and incorrect answers receive a point penalty!)
- Do your best to return to the finish on-time and turn in your answer sheet, or risk losing 10 points per minute (or fraction of a minute) that you’re late! This makes for an exciting dash to the finish.
To learn more about how it works, including some strategy tips, visit the First Time? page.
What to Wear & Bring
Wear whatever feels appropriate for the weather and the exertion level you plan. Some participants adventure in their street clothes while others wear breathable running apparel. Whatever you choose to wear, comfortable footwear is essential if you are going out on foot.
Everyone should bring the following:
- A watch, so you’ll know when to dash back to the finish
- Highlighters or other writing utensils for marking the answer sheet and planning your route
You may wish to bring the following:
- A compass. This can be handy but is not necessary.
- Water and/or snacks
- Additional maps of the area (on Street Scramble maps, most street names are not shown)
- A magnifier, to make it easier to read fine details on the map
- A fun team name and/or team costume!
SATURDAY, APRIL 9
8:30am – On-site registration opens
9:30am – Map handout
10:00am – Start!
11:30am – 90-minute Finish
12:10pm – 90-minute Awards
1:00pm – 3-hour Finish
1:40pm – 3-hour Awards