FREE SEATTLE: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events in Seattle. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
Free First Thursdays @ MOHAI (Museum of History & Industry)
Free Admission 10AM- 8PM
860 Terry Ave N Seattle, WA 98109
(206) 324-1126 | http://www.mohai.org/
On the first Thursday of each month, admission to MOHAI is free all day long! Special programs and activities will happen throughout the day, including hourly docent-led tours in the Faye G. Allen Grand Atrium, starting on the half hour, 10:30 am – 6:30 pm.
Getting to MOHAI
MOHAI is located at 860 Terry Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109 in Lake Union Park.
The best way to visit MOHAI is by taking public transportation. There are several buses which run near the museum and the South Lake Union Streetcar has a stop right in front. The streetcar services downtown and can be boarded near Westlake Center at 5th and Olive St.
Note: Due to construction on the Mercer Corridor Project GPS systems do not reflect the exact route through South Lake Union to MOHAI. For up to date information on construction detours visit the Mercer Corridor webpage.
From I-5: Get off at Mercer St (Exit 167). Follow Mercer street west for two blocks and take a right on Terry Avenue.
From Downtown: Follow Westlake Avenue north to Valley Street and turn Right.
See below for specifics on parking information. MOHAI only has handicapped parking available. All others will need to use area parking lots.
Here at MOHAI we recognize that parking can be an issue for those wishing to visit the museum. We recommend that you look for parking in the following order:
- AGC Lot (1200 Westlake Ave N): Through an ongoing arrangement with Republic Parking Northwest and AGC, MOHAI visitors will receive discounted parking at the AGC lot located just west of Lake Union Park. Parking is $5 during weekdays and $4 nights and weekends for up to 10 hours. Tickets can be validated at the MOHAI front desk. Click here for map.
- Valley and Terry Ave: Look for this lot between Terry Ave and Westlake on the south side of Valley street. It’s particualrly good for weekend parking as it is heavily used during the work week. Parking is only $2 on weekends. Click here for map.
- Westlake Ave (900 – 1000 Block on Westlake Ave N): Just west of Lake Union Park is a long, narrow parking lot which runs along Westlake Ave North for a few blocks. Slots are free if you’re facing the street and paid if you are facing the lake. There is a footbridge connecting the parking lot to Lake Union Park for easy access to the museum. Click here for map.
- Lake Union Park: There are a small number of spaces available in the parking lot next to the SLU Streetcar stop on Valley St. The parking meter is located at the west end of the lot. Several spaces are reserved for the Center for Wooden Boats in this lot. Click here for map.
Failing all of the above, there is also ample street parking throughout the South Lake Union neighborhood within a few blocks of the park. Places to look include:
- 9th and Republican (map)
- 8th and Harrison (map)
- 8th and Thomas (map)
ADA Accessible spaces are available in the MOHAI parking lot just south of the building. The best way to access it is to come from Fairview Ave on the east side of the lake. Drive around the south end of the lake and just before Terry Ave turn right and enter driveway (it goes right past the Center for Wooden Boats). Follow the driveway to the gate. Follow the information at the gate for access. The driveway leading to the gate is available for ADA drop-off.
At the heart of South Lake Union, the new MOHAI at Lake Union Park is easily accessible by bus and streetcar. The South Lake Union Streetcar connects MOHAI and Westlake Center, running every 15 minutes or better throughout the day. Metro buses also provide a ride to within blocks of MOHAI from neighborhoods across the city, including Queen Anne, Fremont, Ballard, the Central District, Mount Baker, and Georgetown. Plan your bus trip to MOHAI today by visiting Metro’s Trip Planner.
Buses serving Lake Union Park include the #40 and #62.
From Downtown, take the South Lake Union Streetcar.
Walking and Biking
On a clear day, MOHAI is a great destination for a walk or bike ride. The museum is located along the recently inaugurated Cheshiahud Lake Union Loop, a 6-mile interpretive trail surrounding Lake Union that connects to dozens of neighborhoods and parks. Bike parking is located on the south end of the MOHAI building as well as throughout the park.
If you, family, or friends are planning a trip to Seattle, take advantage of some special packages that MOHAI offers along with our hotel partners:
- Mayflower Park Hotel: Classic or Deluxe accommodations with 2 complimentary MOHAI admission passes and valet parking.
- Pan Pacific Hotel: Recieve 15% off the best available rate and 2 complimentary cocktails at the lobby bar.
- Marriott Courtyard: Overnight accommodations, 2 complimentary MOHAI admission passes, breakfast for two, and free high-speed internet.
The Sophie Frye Bass Library
MOHAI’s Sophie Frye Bass Library preserves and provides access to over 3 million photographs, manuscripts, books, maps, and ephemera. Located at the MOHAI Resource Center, the library is open by appointment Monday through Thursday, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Please email [email protected], or call 206-324-1126 ext 137 to make an appointment.