Día de los Muertos: Tapete Viewing
October 29-November 6, 2014
10 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Free | All Ages
More info: seattleartmuseum.org/
Seattle Art Museum
1300 1st Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
SAM is excited to welcome back our 20th celebration of Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with a tapete (sand painting) installation inspired by Oaxaca’s beautiful traditions for celebrating the holiday. Every year at SAM, Fulgencio Lazo and a team of local artists design a unique tapete to celebrate Día de los Muertos. Come to the Brotman Forum to see the tapete anytime during museum hours (no admission required).
The art and traditions of Día de los Muertos help us accept death as part of life. People make beautiful altars called ofrendas which are usually decorated with candles, flowers, water, bread, and fruit.
Related Seattle Events & Info
- Halloween: Seattle & Washington Halloween Events, Parties, Costume Contests and More
- Run + Party: Boogie Nights 5K | Halloween-themed 5K Run/Walk, Costume Party, Beer Garden (Oct 25)
- Music: Halloween w/ Jeff Austin Band @ Nectar Lounge | Bluegrass w/ Danny Barnes, Eric Thorin and Ross Martin + Left Coast Country (Oct 25)
- Costume Party: Bollywood SCREAM @ Acquabar | Costume Contest, DJ RDX, FREE Candy & Masks (Oct 25)
- Costume Party: Seattle’s Largest 2014 Halloween Party: Pulse @ EMP Museum | Costume Contest, 2,000+ People, Cash Prizes, Pre-Party, Brand X, DJ Funkdaddy (Oct 25)
- Halloween Burlesque: Morbid Curiositease presents La Petit Mort’s Dark Cabaret @ Columbia City Theater | Burlesque, Belly Dancers, Sword Swallowers, Music & More! (Nov 1)
- Costume Party: Jai Ho! Bollywood Thriller @ Nectar Lounge | Costume Contest, Flash Mob, Thriller Dance Lesson (Nov 1)
FREE SEATTLE: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events in Seattle. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
Our new Seattle Events App is available for iPhones and Android! Now, you can have all of the great Seattle events and ticket giveaways from the website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town.
Download iPhone Events App here
Download Android Events App here